2 cups all-purpose flour.
1/2 cup finely ground pecans
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 beaten egg
2/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. for shortcake. in a large bowl, combine flour, ground pecans, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. in small bowl combine egg, milk, 2 teaspoons of the peel, and 1 teaspoon vanilla: add all at once to dry ingredients. stir just until moistened.
2. drop dough into 8 or 10 mounds on an ungreased baking sheet; flatten each mound with the back of a spoon until about 3/4 inch thick. bake in a 450 degree oven about 10 minutes or until golden. cool shortcakes on wire rack about 10 minutes.
3. meanwhile, in a bowl stir together strawberries, the second 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 teaspoon orange peel; let stand about 20 minutes.
4. in a chilled medium bowl combine cream, the 2 tablespoons sugar, and the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form.
5. using a sharp serrated knife cut shortcakes in half horizontally. lift off top layers. spoon half of the strawberry mixture and half of the whipped cream over bottom layers. replace shortcake tops. top with remaining strawberry mixture; spoon remaining cream onto berries. if desired.